Friday, January 30, 2009

DEMONSTRATIVE WORDS

Demonstrative words

Case I

Case II

Case III

Case IV

Demon-strative pronoun

si (this)

Si ngiika ude [This is my house.]

siika si (this)

Siika si ngiika ude. [This is my house.]

insi (that)

Insi ngiika ude. [That is my house.]

inka insi (that)

Inka insi ngiika ude.[That is my house]

hii (that)

Hii ngiika ude. [That is my house.]

hiika hii (that)

Hiika hii ngiika ude. [That is my house.]

intosi (that)

Into si ngiika ude. [That is my house.]

intodakii si

Into dakii si ngiika ude. [That is my house.]

Demon-strative adjective

siika (this)

1. Siika ude si ngiikii. [This house is mine]

2. Siika ball mi ngiimi la’to pe. [Take this ball for me.]

inka (that)

1. Inka ude si ngiikii. [That house is mine]

2. Inka ball mi ngiimi la’to pe. [Take that ball for me.]

hiika (that)

1. Hiika ude hii ngiikii. [That house is mine]

2. Hiika ball mi ngiimi la’to pe. [Take that ball for me.]

intodaka (that)

1. Into daka ude hii ngiikii. [That house is mine]

2. Into daka ball mi ngiimi la’to pe. [Take that ball for me.]

Case I. The thing spoken about is close to both the speaker and the addressee.

{eg, Siika ude… [This house(the one near us)] }

Case II. The thing spoken about is at some distance from both the speaker and the addressee. {eg, insi… [that (the one over there at some distance from us)] }

Case III. The thing spoken about is close to the addressee but at some distance from the speaker. {eg, hii …[that (the one over there by your side)] }

Case IV. The thing spoken about is at far away from both the speaker and the addressee. {into si…[that (the one there at far horizon]}

Note: Siika si, inka si, hiika hii and into dakii si are preferred to their counterparts si, insi, hii and intosi when one tries to be more specific.

Plural forms of demonstrative (pronouns) words:

Singular

Plural

si, siika si

siika anyi si [these(for two)]/ siika atan si [these(for many)]

insi, inka insi

inka anyi si [those(for two)]/ inka atan si [those(for many)]

hii, hiika hii

hiika anyi hii [those(for two)]/ hiika atan hii [those(for many)]

into si, into dakii si

into daka anyi si [those(for two)]/ into daka atan si [those(for many)]

No comments: