Friday, January 30, 2009

Connectors

Some words which function as connectors to join words, clauses or sentences are listed below:
1. la [and]
e.g, (a) Ram, Laxman la Bharat, miilanru so aane. [Ram, Laxman and Bharat, all of them, came here.]
(b) Pen soye la pencil soye, dukan hokii riibii. [Buy a pen and a pencil from shop.]
2. nyi [and (used for two people)]
e.g, (a) Ram, Laxman nyi ngiika ajin. [Ram and Laxman are my friends.]
(b) Akku, Yami nyi, Itanagar hokii chado. [Akku and Yami have come from Itanagar.]
(c) Akku, Yami nyi, anyuru Ziro chane. [Both Akku and Yami went to Ziro.]
3. -ke le [as]
e.g, (a) Ngo kabow biikele, Tapu aala done. Or, Ngo kabow biikele, Tapu mi, aala dopa kapato. [As I looked across, I saw Tapu coming.]
(b) Ngo, yasan takele ala tabya siito. [I hurt my hand (palm) as I splitted the firewood.]
(c) Tatung aada kiile, bomb boodane. [Just as Tatung came, the bomb explode.]
4. -lyi ho [while]
e.g, (a) Aba, apin diilyi ho lurii siiyo hiidu. [Father tells us not to talk while taking meal.]
(b) Putu chalyi ho, pulyang chape kendo. [While climbing mountain one shall move till the peak is reached. Or(literally), While climbing mountain one shall reach the peak.]
5. lala/ hela [after]
e.g, (a) Mo apin diila lala imineku. [He/She slept after eating meal.]
(b) Ngo, so, apin diite hela ato. [I came here after I had my meal.]
6. hopa [so]
e.g, Ngo, siilo, doctor mi kapa kendo hopa school aalaa kenma. [ I shall see doctor today, so, I shall not be able to come to school.]
7. hiika hopa [therefore]
e.g, Ngo, biilyo, doli achila doto hiika hopa school aama to. [Yesterday I was suffering from
sickness, therefore, I did not come to school.]
8. (-do/du/da) ranpa or doran pa[when something is still in process]
e.g, (a) Ngo aala doran pa, bus harnu biine. [Bus went off when I was still coming.]
(b) Tatung kedo ranpa, teacher paper mi robiineku. [Teacher snatched away Tatung’s paper when he was still writing.]
(c) Mo, tarii aya doran pa, ripaa biine. [He/She throw away his/her shirt when it was still in good condition.]
9. maran pa / -ma ranpa [before something is being done]
e.g, Ngo, station ho aachi maran pa, bus harri dane. [Bus started off before I reached the station.]
10. jalo [even if]
e.g, Aba gada biilyi jalo, ngo, cinema kate talyi. [Even if Father scold me, I will go to see movie.]
jalo [either]
e.g, Pen jalo pencil, ako-ako mi, labiihe. [Take either pen or pencil.]
11. -ja lopa/ jalo pa [even after]
e.g, Diiro miima siija lopa, ngiika une henpyo yama. [My wound is not healing even after applying medicine.]
12. hojalo [still]
e.g, No reng siidu do, hojalo, ngiimi bazar linkun pe. [You must be feeling tired, still, please accompany me to the market.]
13. hoja lopa [still then]
e.g, Richo ngiimi school nyima ke hiila lune, hoja lopa, ngo aka talyi. [Richo told me that the school is closed today, still then, I will go and see.]

No comments: